See photos (5)

La Tour d'Avalon

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Tower in Saint-Maximin

Temporarily closed
  • Thirty-three meters high, eight meters diameter, walls two meters thick at the second floor, the Tour d’Avallon is the witness of the history of an old family of lords – the Wallons de Romestang d’Avalon
    (Avallon was then spelled with only one L) - present in the Grésivaudan since year 1000. We can still see in the old restored building, some part of the 14th century walls, remains of the old
    tower “delphinale” built at the time when the castle became a fortification with its surrounding walls. In the 12th century, Guillaume 3 de Romestang (Lord of Avalon) and his wife Anna of Theys were living in an old fortified house situated north of the actual tower, their house had its own tower as well. The Romestang family was called in 1132 “the poype family”. The word “Poype” at the time
    meant tower. Owning a tower was above all a sign of power.

  • Spoken languages

Services
  • Activities

    • Temporary exhibition
  • Equipment

    • Parking
  • Services

    • Guided individual tours
    • Guided group tours
    • Coach access
    • Guided tours
Rates

Payment methods

  • Cheque
  • Cash
Openings
Temporarily closed
  • From July 14, 2021
    until August 29, 2021
  • Friday
    3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
  • Saturday
    3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
  • Sunday
    3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
  • Actuellement la Tour d'Avalon est fermée pour des travaux de restauration de son escalier intérieur bois.